Monday, June 22, 2009

20th Century Ultra Trail Run










Saturday 6/20/09 was 20th Century Ultra Trail Run.
Not related to Mutual Fund! 100K from Lake Easton, passing over the Cascade Range on PCT, to Carnation (Tolt MacDonald State Park). Only wildlife I saw was a marmot up in rocky area around Ollalie Meadows. I didn't need to see a bear that day.
Perfect weather - sun in the AM, then cloudy and cool in the afternoon. 7AM to 7:01PM (721min) - 7th place out of 15 (8 women and 7 guys). Here is GEarth pic of route and me at finish turning off my Nike+ ipod.
The last 12-13 miles by far the hardest - I felt pretty good up to about 50miles. I couldn't believe how long the several last miles seemed to be. I was half joking with someone that passed me near the end that I forgot if was doing the 50K or 100K. I think she was a little worried about my mental state after I said that, and one of the race organizers came looking for me. But I was just about then crossing the finish line. Very nice to see Marilyse waiting for me at finish and have some real food - no more Gu, Powerbars, or electrolyte mix!
Race organizers did an awesome job with stations, support, logistics - especially considering distances and trail bypasses involved!
Here is GEarth pic of route and me at finish turning off my Nike+ ipod.

-Zach

2 comments:

Kristina said...

WOW! Great job, Z! Or should we call you Forest? What's next, running across the state?

accretion said...

Forest didn't have Gu, Powerbars, and Sport Drinks to keep him going. Not sure what's next - I am trying to keep it local...
There is a bike race across Washington State that would be cool, but I need to acquire real road bike for that. :P
Z